Monday, January 21, 2008

On the Passions of Competition

For those of you who don't know, I live in Patriot's country, which means that not a day goes by that I don't get to hear about the awesomeness of Tom Brady. This has spawned a new emotional response I have chosen to dub:

Fantrarianism (fān-trâr'ē-ən-ĭz'əm)
n. The condition of becoming an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport, pastime, celebrity, etc. in opposition of the majority, because the majority is rooting for an asshole team.

[Origin: Americanism/Me Fandom + Contrarianism]
Which is not to say that I wouldn't root for Big Blue, anyway. But it does make it all the sweeter to say go Giants. It's nice having a horse in this race for a change.

Mike Roemer / AP

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Something tells me that, no matter the results of Sunday's game, you won't actually have a fun time on Sunday.

(Though you might end up happily smug on Monday...)